Nairobi, Kenya, 24 October 2022: Dalbit Petroleum Limited celebrated 20 years of fuelling growth in Kenya and the region at a Gala Dinner held at the Radisson Blu Upper Hill, Nairobi, last Wednesday evening.
The company committed to continuing to deliver sustainable energy while supporting Kenya’s transition towards a low-carbon economy and was graced by His Excellency, Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua amongst other dignitaries.
In his remarks, the Deputy President said:
“I am very delighted to join the Dalbit family in celebrating 20 years of great and huge success."
“The new government led by Dr. William Ruto and I, is a government that believes that entrepreneurs and investors are the most important resource for our country's economic development. And therefore, our job is simple, to support and facilitate entrepreneurship and investment.”
Trade, Investment and Industry CS nominee Moses Kuria reiterated the Government’s plan to boost investment and trade saying:
“The Government of Kenya is committed to creating a conducive environment to do business, for people to export, and to expand our manufacturing base. The President recently launched our 20 by 30 manufacturing vision. This is to say that by the year 2030, we aim to raise the manufacturing GDP contribution from the current 7% to 20%.”
Since operations began in the country in 2002, Dalbit has fuelled the Kenyan economy through the reliable and safe distribution of petroleum products including gasoil, gasoline, Jet-A1 fuel, and heavy fuel oil. Dalbit helps supply much-needed energy access across Kenya, creating jobs, and spurring economic growth for all Kenyans as a direct result.
Speaking at the event, Timothy Skudi, CEO Dalbit Affiliates reflected:
“When we began in 2002, the petroleum industry faced significant and seemingly insurmountable hurdles. Countries in the region were dealing with drought, civil unrest and a distinct lack of infrastructure, which was, in turn, holding back much-needed economic development,”
“We are delighted that 20 years later, and counting, this homegrown business has been instrumental in addressing these challenges by providing total energy solutions that have supported Kenyan and regional businesses, driving economic growth and higher living standards for the people and communities we serve”.
Driven by the values of the pursuit of excellence, behaving with honour and integrity, having an entrepreneurial spirit, accelerating impact and embracing our responsibilities, Dalbit continues to supply fuel via road networks from five depots strategically located across the country; Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Kisumu, and Eldoret; this ensures fuel and energy access for customers in Kenya and across the region, as the company works on its vision to become the preferred petroleum company in East, Central and Southern Africa, through reliable distribution networks.
Dalbit does this even in the midst of a global energy crisis that has disrupted world economies which has slowed efforts to tackle the critical challenge of addressing climate change by reducing global greenhouse emissions.
Humphrey Kariuki, Founder of Dalbit said:
“Looking back at our successes – and failures – over the past twenty years, it is crystal clear how transformational access to energy, enabled by reliable infrastructure can be.
“Dalbit was founded on the principle of fuelling regional growth and development. From humble beginnings, we are fortunate to supply energy to over nine countries across East and Southern Africa, and look forward to contributing to the national development of even more countries over the next 20 years, and beyond”.
Looking into the future, Dalbit recognises the role of innovation in the green energy transformation of the continent and is investing in its business to adapt for this next step. We are committed to this challenge.
About Dalbit Kenya
Dalbit Kenya is an oil marketing company dedicated to fuelling regional growth through reliable and safe distribution networks. The company has a long philanthropic history. We believe that our investment in people and communities serves as a catalyst in unlocking the great potential of Kenya. Our key community focus areas include education, health, community development and the conservation of wildlife and the environment. Dalbit Kenya is a member of the Janus Continental Group, a conglomerate comprising of market-leading companies in the petroleum, energy, hospitality, and real estate sectors.
Some of our activities in the recent past include:
- Create a lasting impact for the communities in which it serves. The 148-strong team planted 1,000 trees at the Mount Kenya Wildlife Conservancy in May this year as part of its environmental conservation efforts aimed at preserving the world’s first Mountain Bongo sanctuary.
- The tree planting exercise is being done in partnership with local communities as part of a tree planting initiative that will contribute towards the Conservancy’s target of planting 5,000 indigenous tree species in 2022. This further complements the existing work done by the local communities and will ultimately contribute to the already existing 35,000 indigenous tree species previously planted in the Mount Kenya Forest by Dalbit.
Supporting public health
- In 2020, Dalbit Kenya offered a Ksh 21.3m grant to Amref Health Africa to support the Government of Kenya’s efforts to step up testing activities. Dalbit also donated US$200,000 to CURE International and the Zambian Ministry of Health, and US$100,000 to the Beit-CURE Hospital in Lusaka, to support the procurement of PPE and other medical equipment.
- Furthermore, we’ve been proud to have the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with humanitarian organisations, fuelling planes that deliver emergency food assistance to Gulu and Goma in Uganda and the DRC, respectively. Thanks to this work, thousands of malnourished children have since been able to access the nutrient-rich food they need so desperately.
- As part of our efforts to fuel progress, Dalbit has also championed various education initiatives throughout the region. Since 2007, we have sponsored and helped finance the education of many children across Kenya through our support for the Palm House Foundation in Nairobi.
Through these activities, Dalbit has proven time after time that we will go the extra mile to help serve the needs of the communities in which we operate. Dalbit’s belief in the continent’s potential is what has motivated us to invest in infrastructure and energy solutions for underserved and hard-to-reach areas, helping to lift communities up from poverty, whilst fuelling prosperity.